Fret Repair On Dean ML

PLX

Seal Of Approval
Founding Member
So, I was practicing my Pantera licks, and while depressing the Floyd Rose tremolo all the way down, strings completely flopping around slack..

When I brought the bar back up there was a loud TWANGGGG!!

The high E string had gotten caught under the edge of the 21st and 22nd frets. When I released the tremolo it pulled up these two frets.
:x

So for years now I've just been playing this guitar with those two frets removed. I've talked to a couple of luthiers about replacing the frets and the cost was gonna be higher than I thought was reasonable.

I ordered all the tools and materials from StewMac to do the job myself, and I'll be posting the ensuing fuckery here so I can be mocked by the entire Internets for not taking this guitar to a luthier.
:lol:

Full disclosure: I attempted this repair once before, several years ago without having the proper tools or materials, and it went to shit (as anyone could have predicted).

OP
OP
PLX

PLX

Seal Of Approval
Founding Member
building up damaged fretboard suing Teflon dam and a mixture of rosewood sawdust & superglue.
eSFD8r8.jpg

OP
OP
PLX

PLX

Seal Of Approval
Founding Member
fret crowning completed and boiled linseed oil applied to fretboard

(Dean appears to use frets that are neither silver, or gold colored.. but somewhere in between)

I sourced the gold ones from Stew Mac as they were closer to the originals than the silver colored ones.

uEM0RkX.jpg

Guitar Dude

The Guitar Forum
Staff member
Administrator
Founding Member
HMFIC
Refretting is something that I haven't gotten around to learning yet.

Reactions: PLX
OP
OP
PLX

PLX

Seal Of Approval
Founding Member
Refretting is something that I haven't gotten around to learning yet.
Honestly, the guitar plays better than ever, due to having to level the entire fretboard after installing the new frets.

Since I never tried crowning frets before this repair (didn't have a fret crowning tool), I went ahead and re-crowned all worn frets while I was doing this job.

(y)

watson503

Founding Member
Damn!!! What an accident to play out like that - great work in the end and I know it feels good to have that one back in top playing shape

Reactions: PLX
Top Bottom