MIM Fender HSH Super Strat Makeover

Guitar Dude

The Guitar Forum
Staff member
Administrator
Founding Member
HMFIC
Okay. So I said I don't need any more guitars. And I don't.

Yeah...

But I've really, really, really wanted a purple stained (not painted) Strat for quite a while now. Preferably a Super Strat. But I only want one with a maple fingerboard. So I kinda sorta found a used HSH Strat on Reverb - in the exact configuration that I want. And I kinda sorta bought it. It'll be here sometime next week and I can start to strip the body.

I hate stripping guitar bodies, it's such a major PITA. The only thing I'll change (apart from staining the body) is to switch the black pickguard to a white pearloid one.

More to come when I get started in a week or two. In the meantime, here's a pic of the guitar from the Reverb listing.

CjsjUG2.jpg

And the pickguard I'll be using

x0ZLYW3.jpg

OP
OP
Guitar Dude

Guitar Dude

The Guitar Forum
Staff member
Administrator
Founding Member
HMFIC
Progress is slow on this one. The guitar won't be here for 2 more days. At least the pickguard came in today.

eaI1Zel.jpg

OP
OP
Guitar Dude

Guitar Dude

The Guitar Forum
Staff member
Administrator
Founding Member
HMFIC
So she finally arrived today. It's a pretty great sounding guitar! But it also came with a ding that wasn't mentioned in the Reverb listing, nor shown in a pic. I messaged the seller to let him know. Maybe he'll offer a small discount? If not, then I won't pursue it any further. After all, I bought the guitar specifically to strip it so the ding doesn't really affect it for my purpose.

nS8MK2I.jpg

ihRUOZh.jpg

OP
OP
Guitar Dude

Guitar Dude

The Guitar Forum
Staff member
Administrator
Founding Member
HMFIC
But it also came with a ding that wasn't mentioned in the Reverb listing, nor shown in a pic. I messaged the seller to let him know. Maybe he'll offer a small discount? If not, then I won't pursue it any further. After all, I bought the guitar specifically to strip it so the ding doesn't really affect it for my purpose.
It turns out that the seller had purchased Reverb Safe Shipping insurance just for this purpose. He told me to go ahead and open a claim with them, so I did. I don't think it's worth much, but hey - that's what insurance is for, right?

OP
OP
Guitar Dude

Guitar Dude

The Guitar Forum
Staff member
Administrator
Founding Member
HMFIC
Ready to go!

g9DU6fx.jpg

A friend had me a bit concerned as to what the wood would be, saying that it might possibly be plywood because it's a MIM Strat. Well, it looks like it's solid wood. Probably 3-piece, but that's to be expected for a Mexican Fender product.

CX1AVkI.jpg

There's what looks like a ground wire (in addition to the one going to the trem claw)? But it's just attached to the wood of the body. Never seen anything like this before. Maybe for continuity with the conductive black paint?

pxQdysr.jpg

The trem tailpiece studs have me a bit concerned though. Once I take off the finish, (about a mm thick) they'll have to be tightened down, and that'll effect the trem system a bit. Hopefully 1mm won't affect it too much though.

lGtaVIJ.jpg

w5iZPDy.jpg

OP
OP
Guitar Dude

Guitar Dude

The Guitar Forum
Staff member
Administrator
Founding Member
HMFIC
Finally! A finish that will come off easily! All the others I've done have been a major PITA struggle to remove the poly. This one practically glides right off with a heat gun and scraper. The light undercoat is super thin and will come off very easily with the orbital sander.

bXitwfB.jpg

OP
OP
Guitar Dude

Guitar Dude

The Guitar Forum
Staff member
Administrator
Founding Member
HMFIC
Seriously - this is incredibly easier than any other body I've ever stripped before!

bN5cJg0.jpg

Here you can see the thickness of the topcoat:

mZ4xvDF.jpg

Back side stripped, or at least stripped of its top coat

gcI5XDW.jpg

Here's the ding again. I was hoping it was just through the top coat, but apparently it went deeper.

O37nS3G.jpg

Tried sanding the undercoat, which was relatively easy, but figured it would be better to use the heat gun scraper a second time instead. The reason being, I need to get rid of the grain filler layer and scraping, then sanding, will give a better result. Especially considering I'll be staining this. You can see the grain fill layer here - it's the darker area of the grain.

F7yoyzW.jpg

More grain filler to be removed

11UkmqC.jpg

Gettin' there...

k6AIPso.jpg

Why do I ALWAYS have a burn spot on every single body I strip?!?!?

7ZO5RRf.jpg

I like the grain, even though it looks like a 3 piece body to me. There's a small knot in the lower left side of the body. I'll call it a "beauty mark". :D

LLPs5g9.jpg

I still have the sides to do, but I've had a couple libations and don't want to screw it up. I'll tackle those tomorrow, as well as the staining and hopefully the first coat of poly. I have it a spray of water to raise the grain for sanding, and of course, now I want to leave it natural. But I bought this specifically to dye purple, so that's what I'll do.
ojC8AKt.jpg

Still have to buff the burnt area off of the back. Figured I'd wait until after I raised the grain to do it.

bx70NBd.jpg

OP
OP
Guitar Dude

Guitar Dude

The Guitar Forum
Staff member
Administrator
Founding Member
HMFIC
Stripped, sanded up to 240 grit, and ready to be stained. I'll be using TransTint purple.

LgeXzMo.jpg

hCnOeAM.jpg

29AnD2E.jpg

OP
OP
Guitar Dude

Guitar Dude

The Guitar Forum
Staff member
Administrator
Founding Member
HMFIC
Definitely purple. I actually wanted a more violet shade, but didn't want to take a chance of it being too light of a color. Now to let it dry and start the poly coats. Gonna go with a satin/matte finish.

7eBYLB6.jpg

OP
OP
Guitar Dude

Guitar Dude

The Guitar Forum
Staff member
Administrator
Founding Member
HMFIC
Well I screwed up. The end grain staining was MUCH darker than the face grain, so I decided to stain the sides (end grain) with a black aniline leather dye. Then try a bit of a burst effect on the front and back. As you can see, it didn't come out so well. So, live and learn I guess. I could try and sand it, but I'm pretty sure the dye went so deep into the grain that it'll just be pointless.

The first pic is stain only, and the 2nd pic is with a fresh coat of satin poly. It looks glossy only because it's wet.

78sWJLE.jpg
KTtqQJw.jpg

OP
OP
Guitar Dude

Guitar Dude

The Guitar Forum
Staff member
Administrator
Founding Member
HMFIC
Maybe I'll just say "Screw it" and paint it violet/purple. I really wanted the wood grain to show through, but this just sucks too much.

OP
OP
Guitar Dude

Guitar Dude

The Guitar Forum
Staff member
Administrator
Founding Member
HMFIC
Yeah, definitely not happy with this. Won't be able to paint it for a couple of days.

prPBKV3.jpg

OP
OP
Guitar Dude

Guitar Dude

The Guitar Forum
Staff member
Administrator
Founding Member
HMFIC
Re-prepped and ready to be painted. At least the poly coats act as a grain filler, so there's that.

QSZcGVZ.jpg
gXkqdhk.jpg

OP
OP
Guitar Dude

Guitar Dude

The Guitar Forum
Staff member
Administrator
Founding Member
HMFIC
Definitely diggin' this color!

First coat

BC2ovt6.jpg

2nd coat, and sanded. Ready for the satin poly.

oaXGS0w.jpg

Decided to change up the look with some new pickup covers and black control knobs. The original cream/off-white colors just weren't doing it for me against the new white pearloid pickguard.

hqwxeuu.jpg

Top Bottom