Piece of Shit Guitar Challenge: Can I Take This Crappy First Act Guitar and Make It Gig Worthy?

Guitar Dude

The Guitar Forum
Staff member
Administrator
Founding Member
HMFIC
Somebody gave me this guitar. I don't remember who, when, or why, but I've had it in a corner for quite a while. It's a complete piece of crap! I have no idea if the electronics work (I've never plugged it in), and there are a couple of major cracks where the electronics cavity cover is located. Like, to the point where I can wiggle the pieces of wood (?) around. I think the only thing holding them in place is the cover itself.

So I looked at it one day, and I says to myself, I says, "Self? I wonder if we can make this into a playable guitar?". And then I figured, why not go all out and make it something that is completely gig worthy? To say I've got my work cut out for me is quite an understatement! At any rate, here are a few pics of this beat up old girl in her current state. Not sure where I'm gonna start, but I guess I'll just take her apart first and then go from there. I think I'll call her "Roxanne". This is gonna take a while...

sGg50ry.jpg
5gJetdL.jpg
QjmjLSp.jpg

2fxSX9m.jpg
m4FfTPO.jpg
XJPcyvl.jpg
VGSJ9Hn.jpg
3ChoMqm.jpg

PLX

Seal Of Approval
Founding Member
That's pretty rough !

Appears to be about a $75 guitar on Reverb

OP
OP
Guitar Dude

Guitar Dude

The Guitar Forum
Staff member
Administrator
Founding Member
HMFIC
$75? Hell no, this thing is complete trash.

• Haha
Reactions: PLX
OP
OP
Guitar Dude

Guitar Dude

The Guitar Forum
Staff member
Administrator
Founding Member
HMFIC
Well, my goal is to make this one gig worthy (if possible). Almost have it taken apart right now.

OP
OP
Guitar Dude

Guitar Dude

The Guitar Forum
Staff member
Administrator
Founding Member
HMFIC
Well this was a surprise - solid wood, not plywood. It's probably 5 piece, but still.

O8v26u2.jpg

3aS0q90.jpg

Never seen a bridge like this before

A8SN2iK.jpg

Definitely gonna need to replace the tuning machines.

cpLVpZc.jpg

They call this a ground?

jJULKnr.jpg

Yeah, I'm gonna need some Titebond for this.

NOlR5vq.jpg

OP
OP
Guitar Dude

Guitar Dude

The Guitar Forum
Staff member
Administrator
Founding Member
HMFIC
Started the gluing on Roxanne today. The front crack and the back crack I'm gonna wait until I strip the paint. The ones near the control cavity need done now, as I wouldn't expect them to survive the rigors of stripping. I outlined in red everything that needs to be glued.

Front
vyeeGvx.jpg

Back

YRgBcmi.jpg

Control cavity

67Cyxmf.jpg

This one was a lot worse than I thought it was

Emqumrp.jpg

Almost ready. Gonna need a third clamp vertically set for the above pic.

fCaqQdd.jpg

Three clamps - two across and one vertical

UpADhT5.jpg
JvFaoWi.jpg

dFwcHB6.jpg

OP
OP
Guitar Dude

Guitar Dude

The Guitar Forum
Staff member
Administrator
Founding Member
HMFIC
Wow mate! That's one FUBAR P.O.S.
Hats off for doing the 'resurrection' project. I would've just dump it without a second thought.
Yeah, it's a piece of crap all right. I just want to see if I can make it worthy of playing.

OP
OP
Guitar Dude

Guitar Dude

The Guitar Forum
Staff member
Administrator
Founding Member
HMFIC
I really wanted to keep as many original parts as I can, but so far it looks like I'll be replacing the pickguard, tuners, pickup, nut, and pots/wiring. Not sure if I wanna keep the bridge or not. I may or may not keep the knobs - it depends on what I end up with for a final finish. Also just realized there are no strap locks.

OP
OP
Guitar Dude

Guitar Dude

The Guitar Forum
Staff member
Administrator
Founding Member
HMFIC
I also wanna keep it fairly inexpensive, so as of right now I'm thinking of using as many Wilkinson parts as I can.

OP
OP
Guitar Dude

Guitar Dude

The Guitar Forum
Staff member
Administrator
Founding Member
HMFIC
The glue seems to have done its job well. Looks like I went a little too heavy in a couple of spots, but it'll eventually dry.

o8WW37X.jpg

Tried a preliminary heat gun strip. There's only the paint, so it'll be relatively easy compared to some of the other jobs I've done. Not sure if I screwed up or if it was a weak patch, but some of the wood came up when I was stripping the paint.

obqm9as.jpg

Gonna try a paint remover to see if that's any easier.

vxAX9YI.jpg

aKKYhMG.jpg

Waited 20 minutes like the directions stated. Not all that great - I'll have to do additional sanding to get down to the bare wood. I'll just stick with the heat gun for the rest of the process.

C3eq0Eq.jpg

PLX

Seal Of Approval
Founding Member
If you can find a product called "Strypeeze".. that's the stuff.

Wear gloves.

Don't even thing about smoking.

🔥

OP
OP
Guitar Dude

Guitar Dude

The Guitar Forum
Staff member
Administrator
Founding Member
HMFIC
I'm still not sure what I'll be doing with the body, but I'll be staining the fretboard black. For some reason, I don't like rosewood for electric guitar fretboards - only ebony or maple. After a bit of research, I've decided to us a Japanese calligraphy/sumi painting style of India ink.

1691710835964.jpeg

OP
OP
Guitar Dude

Guitar Dude

The Guitar Forum
Staff member
Administrator
Founding Member
HMFIC
Oh, and I'll most likely be replacing the nut with a Graphtech black Tusq nut.

bridget_murphy837

Founding Member
It sounds like you've got an exciting project ahead with "Roxanne"! Transforming a neglected guitar into a gig-worthy instrument is a rewarding challenge. Taking it step by step, dismantling and assessing, is a great approach. Best of luck on this journey of restoration and creativity! Can't wait to see the progress.

OP
OP
Guitar Dude

Guitar Dude

The Guitar Forum
Staff member
Administrator
Founding Member
HMFIC
The back of Roxanne is stripped. Judging from the smells and how easily it burns, I’d have to say it’s some kind of pine wood. The glue joints I did held up surprisingly well to the heat gun.

IMG_5385.jpeg

OP
OP
Guitar Dude

Guitar Dude

The Guitar Forum
Staff member
Administrator
Founding Member
HMFIC
Roxanne be all nekkid up front. 🙂

Now it’s time to do the sides. The sides suck. The sides ALWAYS suck.

IMG_5388.jpeg

OP
OP
Guitar Dude

Guitar Dude

The Guitar Forum
Staff member
Administrator
Founding Member
HMFIC
So it seems there some type of face wood laminated on top. I’m not gonna go through all the work of removing it. I’ll just fill in the gaps after I take care of the cracks.

IMG_5389.jpeg

OP
OP
Guitar Dude

Guitar Dude

The Guitar Forum
Staff member
Administrator
Founding Member
HMFIC
I really wanna start filling and sanding and making her nekkid body beautiful, but I gotta fix the remaking cracks first. Titebond for the one larger crack and CA glue for the others.

IMG_5390.jpeg

OP
OP
Guitar Dude

Guitar Dude

The Guitar Forum
Staff member
Administrator
Founding Member
HMFIC
Oh, I found something else when I was stripping her - the end pin screw had its head snapped off and is stuck inside. What the hell did the previous owner do to this poor girl?!?!?

IMG_5391.jpeg

OP
OP
Guitar Dude

Guitar Dude

The Guitar Forum
Staff member
Administrator
Founding Member
HMFIC
I hate having to wait 24 hours for the Titebond to cure.

IMG_5392.jpeg

OP
OP
Guitar Dude

Guitar Dude

The Guitar Forum
Staff member
Administrator
Founding Member
HMFIC
About to breathe some new life into these fretwires.

IMG_5396.jpeg

OP
OP
Guitar Dude

Guitar Dude

The Guitar Forum
Staff member
Administrator
Founding Member
HMFIC
After sanding, I found a crapload of raised areas where the laminate top was separating from the core. So I had to cut out the areas that had lifted and fill with wood filler.

xhlf6EG.jpg
FYUJlec.jpg

Top Bottom