"Raven" - Transforming a Non-functioning Samick Guitar Into Something Special!

Guitar Dude

The Guitar Forum
Staff member
Administrator
Founding Member
HMFIC
So this guitar was given to me. The owner said he didn't know what was wrong with it, only that it didn't have any sound when he plugged it in.

j6hmCdI.jpg

OP
OP
Guitar Dude

Guitar Dude

The Guitar Forum
Staff member
Administrator
Founding Member
HMFIC
Gee, I wonder why it wasn't working?!?!?

1Xq42hE.jpg

D1R5DGT.jpg

OP
OP
Guitar Dude

Guitar Dude

The Guitar Forum
Staff member
Administrator
Founding Member
HMFIC
Never heard of Cherkfan, but after a little research it seems they're not completely terrible considering the fact that they're a cheap component. I won't be using them though. I'm more of a CTS/Bourne/Alpha kind of guy.

g5YsOIQ.jpg

OP
OP
Guitar Dude

Guitar Dude

The Guitar Forum
Staff member
Administrator
Founding Member
HMFIC
So this really surprised me - solid wood! I thoroughly expected to see plywood as the body. So I decided I would strip her down and try my hand at custom relief carving for the body. Something based on a Celtic theme - maybe call her "Shannon".

3wA9wH8.jpg

So when I tried stripping her (heat gun/scraper method), this girl just didn't want to take her clothes off! This small amount was a major PITA!

0S9PUom.jpg

So I grabbed the orbital sander and some 80 grit paper.

vPjFU1s.jpg

This took over half an hour to do, and I still hadn't gotten to bare wood yet. So I scrapped the carving idea. That's when I decided to rename her "Raven". I'll be making her completely black, except for the strings. I looked into those DR Black Beauty strings, but was put off by the reviews.

So, time to fill in what I took away and get to transforming her into her new identity.

HS1O8WC.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Guitar Dude

Guitar Dude

The Guitar Forum
Staff member
Administrator
Founding Member
HMFIC
I'll be painting the body and front of the headstock flat black, with satin poly finish. The back of the headstock and neck will be painted gloss black with a satin poly finish. I'll also be ebonizing the fretboard.

LBtAVC6.jpg

OP
OP
Guitar Dude

Guitar Dude

The Guitar Forum
Staff member
Administrator
Founding Member
HMFIC
The neck is prepped and ready to go. Forgot to get a shot of the body before painting

p5rF66z.jpg

Found this little bugger while prepping the body. I was able to sand it down to almost nothing. The paint and poly will take care of the rest.

JXF8iPl.jpg

7E69e6f.jpg

Two coats on the neck, one on the body.

lFpCFJq.jpg

OP
OP
Guitar Dude

Guitar Dude

The Guitar Forum
Staff member
Administrator
Founding Member
HMFIC
There's no way I can use the original pickguard, so I'll have to make one. Originally I was thinking of using a 1/8" wood veneer and staining it black, but Home Depot didn't have anything less than 1/4". So I picked up some 1/8" MDF and planned on painting it. Then I thought, "What about vinyl floor tile?". Well, they didn't have anything in black, and Amazon only has it by the case and I didn't wanna spend that much. So I get home and realize I have a few tiles left over from when I fixed my kitchen floor. So I figured I can use one of those and paint it.

I didn't cut out the pickup or control holes yet because I'm still not sure what I wanna do. But I'm leaning heavily towards a dual humbucker, one tone, one volume, and a rhythm/treble 3-way switch.

pJL6Sxu.jpg

jLHS3cM.jpg

Ten651M.jpg

2rIDEP1.jpg

iRfwiUa.jpg

OP
OP
Guitar Dude

Guitar Dude

The Guitar Forum
Staff member
Administrator
Founding Member
HMFIC
I was really up in the air about what to do for a pickup/control situation. I've decided to use the guts from this Burny RLC-55 John Sykes model Les Paul copy that I have lying around. Someone gave it to me because the headstock broke off and they no longer have it so it can't be fixed. I could always replace the entire neck, but I have no idea what type of glue they used (it's a set neck), so it could easily be much more trouble than it's worth. I've just been using it to test various finishes on a rosewood fretboard. I thought it was an el-cheapo $75 style guitar, but after doing a search for the same guitar on Reverb, I see they've previously sold for between $425-$775. I watched a few YT videos about it, and it seems to have a pretty decent sound for a knockoff LP.

ahDVcOZ.jpg

OP
OP
Guitar Dude

Guitar Dude

The Guitar Forum
Staff member
Administrator
Founding Member
HMFIC
Here's another pleasant surprise - they used Alpha linear and audio pots in it. I'll be re-using these as well.

9uXxL1E.jpg

OP
OP
Guitar Dude

Guitar Dude

The Guitar Forum
Staff member
Administrator
Founding Member
HMFIC
Wow, yet another surprise from the Burny! I took out the pickups, and they're Epiphones. The neck is an HB6N Alnico, and the bridge is an HOTHB8B ceramic. According to what I've read, they're the Epi equivalent to Gibson's 498T/496R pickups.

LsMm3yh.jpg

OP
OP
Guitar Dude

Guitar Dude

The Guitar Forum
Staff member
Administrator
Founding Member
HMFIC
The body and neck are done. Next I have to work on the frets, then clean and ebonize the fretboard.

bUMYDQ8.jpg

OP
OP
Guitar Dude

Guitar Dude

The Guitar Forum
Staff member
Administrator
Founding Member
HMFIC
Raven's hardware came in. I also nixed the idea of using floor tile for a pickguard and ordered some 3mm black acrylic from Amazon. That should be here tomorrow.

C9t0GkD.jpg

1696472602012.png

Top Bottom