Refinishing A Stinger SWG

Guitar Dude

The Guitar Forum
Staff member
Administrator
Founding Member
HMFIC
So my next project (because I NEED a purple Strat style guitar!) is this Stinger SWG by Martin. I plan on stripping the body and using purple TransTint dye to stain it, and finish it with a semi-gloss polyurethane. I know, I know - I said I was gonna do this with the Silvertone, but this Stinger has a maple fretboard like I want. The Silvertone has a rosewood fretboard, so I think I'll do some type of natural wood stain color with that one. At any rate, Martin commissioned Samick to make these for them, and there's a HIGH probability that this one will have a plywood body like the actual Samick I did a few months ago.

Now, I need your opinion(s) - should I keep the headstock the same black/silver that it is now, or should I strip it? If I strip it, should I stain it purple or leave it a natural tone like the fretboard? I'm planning on keeping the original pickups and knobs, so there will be some continuity with the black if I keep the headstock as-is. As of right now, I'm leaning towards keeping it the current black/silver headstock to match the hardware.

IMG_3164.jpg

Top Bottom