So I Done Went And Got Me One Of Them Thar Solo Geetar Kits

Guitar Dude

The Guitar Forum
Staff member
Administrator
Founding Member
HMFIC
Yeah, it's an el cheapo $200 12 string Tele style kit, but it's just for a fun side project. Not sure if I wanna stain it purple, medium cherry, or a lighter oak type stain yet. Leaning towards the cherry though.

IMG_3239.jpg IMG_3240.jpg IMG_3241.jpg IMG_3242.jpg IMG_3243.jpg IMG_3245.jpg IMG_3246.jpg IMG_3249.jpg

OP
OP
Guitar Dude

Guitar Dude

The Guitar Forum
Staff member
Administrator
Founding Member
HMFIC
Gonna replace the crappy plastic nut with a black Tusq nut.

OP
OP
Guitar Dude

Guitar Dude

The Guitar Forum
Staff member
Administrator
Founding Member
HMFIC
Okay so I sanded off the thin protective coating on the body and headstock last night. Started with 600 grit, then finished with 1200 grit. It didn't work out so well...

Here are a few pics:

Not sure if you can see it, but this pic is supposed to show the shiny coating that I sanded off.

IMG_3275.jpg

Sanded and ready to be stained:

IMG_3284.jpg

The cheap plastic binding took a hit, but I should be able to buff it out during the final finishing stages

IMG_3283.jpg

OP
OP
Guitar Dude

Guitar Dude

The Guitar Forum
Staff member
Administrator
Founding Member
HMFIC
So anyway, remember what I said about

It didn't work out so well...

Well, here are the pics. First coat, second coat, and after wiping off (followed the directions on the Watco stain can).

First coat:

IMG_3285.jpg

Second coat:

IMG_3286.jpg

Wiped down - CRAP!:

IMG_3287.jpg

OP
OP
Guitar Dude

Guitar Dude

The Guitar Forum
Staff member
Administrator
Founding Member
HMFIC
So anyway... Tonight I resanded the body and headstock, starting with 220 grit and finishing with 500 grit. Made quite sure (I hope!) that all of the protective coat was completely sanded out. The first coat is applied and the second is due to be applied in about 10 minutes. Hopefully I'll have some decent pics for you in about a half hour or so. Wish me luck!

OP
OP
Guitar Dude

Guitar Dude

The Guitar Forum
Staff member
Administrator
Founding Member
HMFIC
So anyway... Tonight I resanded the body and headstock, starting with 220 grit and finishing with 500 grit. Made quite sure (I hope!) that all of the protective coat was completely sanded out. The first coat is applied and the second is due to be applied in about 10 minutes. Hopefully I'll have some decent pics for you in about a half hour or so. Wish me luck!

Ready for restain:

IMG_3288.jpg

First coat:

IMG_3289.jpg

Second coat:

IMG_3290.jpg

Front and back after wiping down:

IMG_3292.jpg
IMG_3293.jpg

And the disappointing headstock:

IMG_3294.jpg

OP
OP
Guitar Dude

Guitar Dude

The Guitar Forum
Staff member
Administrator
Founding Member
HMFIC
Somebody got her second coat of poly tonight. Definitely gonna paint the face of the headstock black though.

IMG_3299.jpg

OP
OP
Guitar Dude

Guitar Dude

The Guitar Forum
Staff member
Administrator
Founding Member
HMFIC
Quick update on the 12 string Telecaster project: Painted the face of the headstock black. It'll need 2 more coats, then I think I'll clearcoat it glossy. I do have a can of matte clearcoat though... The body is gonna be a satin poly finish. I have 7 coats on the body right now and will buff it tonight. Should I use the matte clearcoat for the face of the headstock?

UkEXSJA.jpg

ygrR5OX.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Guitar Dude

Guitar Dude

The Guitar Forum
Staff member
Administrator
Founding Member
HMFIC
Also ordered one of these to replace the cheap plastic nut that can installed on the neck:

OP
OP
Guitar Dude

Guitar Dude

The Guitar Forum
Staff member
Administrator
Founding Member
HMFIC
Went with the matte clearcoat for the front of the headstock. I'll fix the imperfections when I finish the neck.

FRDFOwL.jpg

Here's the video showing how I plan to finish the neck:

Starting to wire the electronics:

NpTnyxH.jpg

Top Bottom